Tuesday 28 January 2020

Home » Services » Tuition Assurance » Information for Students

Information for Students

2019 Calendar Year Tuition Assurance

TAFE Directors Australia (TDA) is no longer a tuition assurance operator.

TDA were assisting the Commonwealth Government’s Department of Education and Training (DET) with displaced students from the closure of private training providers.  TDA has completed its work in relation to these matters.  You may contact DET for:

International Students

International students who have questions regarding their tuition assurance should, in the first instance, discuss the matter with their current training provider if possible.

The Australian Government seeks to assist international students, whose education provider is unable to fully deliver their course of study, through its Tuition Protection Service (TPS).

Domestic Students

Commonwealth VET Student Loans and FEE-HELP funded tuition

The Commonwealth Government is responsible for tuition assurance arrangements for the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector and for the Higher Education sector for the 2018 and for the 2019 calendar years for tuition funded through its student tuition loan schemes (VET Student Loans and FEE-HELP).

Information on these tuition assurance arrangements is available through the Commonwealth Department of Education and Training (DET).

You can also e-mail DET for:

If a VET provider or a Higher Education provider ceased to deliver a course of study or closed in 2018 or in 2019 then DET, in the absence of assistance from that provider, will seek to assist affected students to continue their study with another provider in a similar course. If a similar course is not available, the affected student may be eligible for a re-credit for units of study commenced past the unit of study census date but not completed.

If a student has completed their course of study and just need their qualification, then contact DET as above.

Outstanding Commonwealth VET FEE-HELP debts

The Commonwealth is addressing the circumstances of VET students affected by inappropriate behaviour of some private training providers, including for ex-students of those private training providers in liquidation, where these VET students have outstanding Commonwealth VET FEE-HELP (VFH) debts: see https://www.education.gov.au/vet-fee-help-reforms.

In the first instance, if a student feels they have any concerns about their training or about their training provider the student should first raise these concerns with their training provider to seek for the matter to be resolved and to provide sufficient time for the matter to be resolved, if possible.

Guidance on unacceptable conduct of a provider is available in Part 6, Division 2 of the Higher Education Support (VET) Guideline 2015.

VET Student Loan Ombudsman

Where a VET student has failed to have a complaint resolved with their training provider, and where the unresolved complaint is about their course of study or about their training provider, and because the matter of the complaint prevented the VET student from completing their unit of study for their course of study, then the VET student should consider raising the matter with the VET Student Loan Ombudsman (VSLO). This includes where these circumstances apply to ex-students of those private training providers in liquidation. See the VSLO factsheet.

Existing complaints with the VSLO

For questions or for updates on complaints already lodged with the VSLO, e-mail the VSLO at VET@Ombudsman.gov.au with the complaint reference number.

To talk to the VSLO about an existing complaint, where an e-mail is not the best option, VET students may telephone the VSLO on 1300 362 072 and press option 6.

For new complaints to the VSLO

Before making a complaint with the VSLO, see VET FEE-HELP and VET Student Loans complaints.

To make a complaint with the VSLO use the VSLO online complaints form.

Where a VET student cannot make a complaint using the form, they should call the VSLO on 1300 362 072 and press option 6.

While the above should be a VET student’s first port of call, for further consumer assistance see the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s consumer help information.

Further Information

TDA, as a non-government organisation, is unable to directly assist students with any of the following, but the following will assist students to contact directly the correct organisation:

1. Unique Student Identifier (USI) Transcript

Note your USI is different to your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN).

2. Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) Debt and Taxation Issues (FEE-HELP; VET FEE-HELP; VET Student Loans)

Students can check their loan balance on their MyUniAssist account.

Students can access their MyUniAssist account by using their Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) to log in and check their record and balances. See information at  http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/pages/track_debt

Students can also view their HELP debt at https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Study-and-training-support-loans/View-your-loan-balance-online/ or by telephoning the Australia Taxation Office (ATO) on 13 28 61. To do so, students will have to advise the ATO of their tax file number (TFN) before it will disclose any personal information.

3. Transcript of a student record – VET students with a closed provider

For VET students seeking a transcript of their student record please contact the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) at https://www.asqa.gov.au/students/applying-copy-student-records.

ASQA can only provide a transcript to VET students based on the student information submitted by the training provider at the time of closure. To email or speak to ASQA see its FAQs.

4. Careers Australia Diploma of Nursing Program

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) has a fact sheet for students who were enrolled in the Careers Australia Diploma of Nursing Program and have been impacted by the closure of Careers Australia, see Fact sheet Careers Australia Diploma of Nursing students.

5. Careers Australia Nursing Students – Think Education

PPB Advisory (now part of PwC), as the liquidators of the Careers Australia Group, undertook a commercial arrangement that resulted in the Careers Australia nursing business sale to Think Education, part of Laureate Group, see http://www.think.edu.au/courses/health/nursing. For further information, you may contact Think Education on 1300 575 803.

6. Trades Course Students – Careers Australia

The Liquidator of Careers Australia, PPB Advisory, arranged for some trade course students to move across to a new training provider. This applies to carpentry, painting and decorating students of Careers Australia’s trades operations. The new training provider was Everthought Education.

Subscribe to receive updates from our team

You will receive a free copy of relevant thought leadership when you subscribe to our news, event updates and alerts about new content of interest to you.