TAFE Directors Australia

Supporting our member institutes since 1998

Tuition Assurance Scheme 2018 Student Advice

Training Organisations seeking information about Tuition Assurance – click here


Students who have general questions regarding their tuition assurance should, in the first instance where possible, discuss the matter with their current training provider.   

TDA, as a non-government organisation, is unable to directly assist any student with any of the following, but if you a seeking an answer to any of these matters we hope the following will assist you in contacting directly the correct organisation.


International Students

International students are assisted by a separate scheme, the Tuition Protection Service.


Information for Students Affected by the Closure of non TDA TAS Providers

If you have been displaced by the closure of a training provider or course that was not part of the Careers Australia Group; Asia Pacific Training Institute; Franklyn Scholar (Acquire Learning); or the Australian School of Hair Design and Beauty then it is possible the closure of your provider is being managed by the Australian Council for Private Education and Training.


Domestic Students

  • Statement of Attainment

The action you need to take to obtain a statement of attainment depends on your provider. Please see below for either a Careers Australia, Asia Pacific Training Institute or a Franklyn Scholar statement of Attainment.

Unique Student Identifier (USI) Transcript

Note your USI is different to your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN).

USI is a Commonwealth Government identifier, and TDA is unable to assist with your USI.

  • Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) Debt and Taxation Issues (FEE-HELP; VET FEE-HELP; VET Student Loans)

You can check your loan balance on your MyUniAssist account.

To access your MyUniAssist account, you need your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) to log in and check your record and balances. See information at  http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/pages/track_debt

You can also view your HELP debt at https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Study-and-training-support-loans/View-your-loan-balance-online/ or you can telephone the Australia Taxation Office (ATO) on
13 28 61.

You will have to advise the ATO of your tax file number (TFN) before it will disclose any personal information to you.

TDA, as a non-government organisation, is unable to assist with any taxation matters.

  • Disputing your VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans Taxation Debt, in Full or in Part, or Seeking to Defer your Repayments

The VET Student Loan Ombudsman (VSLO) can assist students studying a graduate diploma, graduate certificate, advanced diploma or diploma course and who accessed the VET FEE-HELP (VFH) or the VET Student Loans (VSL) programs to cover the cost of their tuition, in full or in part.

If you have a VFH or VSL debt that you dispute, in full or in part, for whatever reason, or you consider you have been treated unfairly by your VFH or VSL approved provider, you may consider lodging a complaint with the VLSO. 

Complaints to the VSLO can be made through its on online form at: http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/about/vet-student-loans-ombudsman or by calling 1300 362 072.

If you have special circumstances and you seek to defer the repayment of your tuition loan repayment see the Australian Taxation Office information at: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Study-and-training-support-loans/Deferring-repayments/

TDA is unable to discuss or adjust disputed taxation debts from student loans.

  • Information for VET FEE-HELP Students

To contact the Commonwealth Department of Education and Training see www.education.gov.au/vet-fee-help-students. An online enquiry form can be accessed by clicking on ‘Click here if you still need help’ at the bottom of the Frequently Asked Questions. You can also phone the HELP Student Enquiry line on 1800 020 108.

Information on the tuition assurance arrangements for 2018 is available at:

You can also e-mail DET on:

While TDA will assist students as much as it can, TDA is not a student representative body. In the first instance talk with your training provider.


Information Specifically for Careers Australia Students

  • Statement of Attainment  

To obtain your Statement of Attainment please contact PPB Advisory at  CAGStudents@ppbadvisory.com. PPB Advisory are the liquidators of the Careers Australia Group.

For further information see https://www.ppbadvisory.com/creditor-information/v/485/careers-australia-group-limited.

TDA is unable to assist with any matters related to your Statement of Attainment.

  • Transcript of your Student Record

For a transcript of your student record please contact the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) at https://www.asqa.gov.au/students/applying-copy-student-records.

ASQA can only provide a transcript based on the student information submitted by Careers Australia at the time of closure. You will not be charged an administration fee for your application to ASQA. To email or speak to ASQA see https://www.asqa.gov.au/faqs/speak-asqa-representative.

TDA is unable to assist with any issues related to Student Transcripts.

  • You have completed Your Course of Study but just need Your Certificate

If you have completed your course of study and just need your certificate then please contact PPB Advisory at  CAGStudents@ppbadvisory.com.  If you are a nursing student first read the below nursing fact sheet from NMBA.

  • Careers Australia Diploma of Nursing Program

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) has a fact sheet for students who were enrolled in the Careers Australia Diploma of Nursing Program and have been impacted by Careers Australia closing. See Fact sheet Careers Australia Diploma of Nursing students

As nursing student, you need to read the fact sheet before contacting TDA.

  • Careers Australia Nursing Students – Think Education

PPB Advisory, as the liquidators of the Careers Australia Group, undertook a commercial arrangement that resulted in the Careers Australia nursing business sale to Think Education, part of Laureate Group, see http://www.think.edu.au/courses/health/nursing. You may contact Think Education on
1300 575 803.

Enrolling with Think Education means your training is not the responsibility of TDA under tuition assurance. As a student, having enrolled with Think Education, you are like any other student in terms of having any of your issues dealt in the first instance with your provider.

TDA is unable to assist with any matters resulting from the sale to Think Education of the Careers Australia nursing business, including statements of attainment, or academic transcripts or work placement.

  • Trades Course Students

The Liquidator of Careers Australia, PPB Advisory, arranged for some trade course students to move across to a new training provider. This applies to carpentry, painting and decorating students of Careers Australia’s Trades operations. The new training provider is Everthought Education.


Information Specifically for Asia Pacific Training Institute and Franklyn Scholar (Acquire Learning) Students

Thank you for your enquiry.  TDA has, in the main, completed the work it was undertaking on behalf of the Commonwealth to assist students of the Asia Pacific Training Institute or of Franklyn Scholar.  For those students who sought a re-credit of VET FEE-HELP tuition loan amounts, the information to support the re-credit process was provided, on 6 December 2017, to the liquidator of Franklyn Scholar and to the Commonwealth Department of Education and Training (DET).  If you require any further assistance please contact DET in the first instance at VETTuitionAssurance@education.gov.au.