TDA responds to discussion paper on future resource sector skills needs
TAFE Directors Australia has recommended that TAFE play a greater role in the training of resource industry employees.
The call was made in TDA’s response to the National Resource Sector Employment Taskforce (NRSET) discussion paper ‘Resourcing the Future’.
NRSET, led by the Parliamentary Secretary for Western Australia, The Hon Gary Gray MP, was set up to help secure the future workforce requirements in the resources sector, particularly those arising from the $50 billion Gorgon LNG Project.
In its response, TDA welcomed the specific attention given to the role of education and training in meeting industry needs outlined throughout the NSERT discussion paper. It also raised the capacity for TAFE Institutes to play a more active role in the training of resource sector employees - a process that is often conducted in-house by the resource industry.
See TDA’s response here.
TDA thanks the members of its working group who helped assemble TDA’s response including:
- Dr Barry McKnight, Pro Vice Chancellor (VET), Charles Darwin University
- Wayne Collyer, Managing Director, Polytechnic West
- Denise Janek, Managing Director, TAFE SA Regional
- Kay Giles, Acting Managing Director, Skills Tech Australia
- Pam Caven, Acting CEO TDA
- Bert Beevers, Managing Director, Durack Institute of Technology
- Christine Warrington, Associate Director Hunter Institute.